Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wed 1/30 Taylor Series

Main Points
This chapter is simply a list of calculus theorems with examples of these theorems being used. The 4 pages given state Taylor's theorem, and then show how to solve for low-order Taylor polynomials for f(x)=cosx, approximating cos(0.01), and then approximating a simple definite integral of cosx. Finding the polynomials is a simple matter of subsituting into the formula. Approximating cox(0.01) is another matter of substitution, and the truncation error is calculated by using the knowledge that Xi(x) lies in the interval [-1,1] (trivially), and then in the interval [0,0.1] (using Taylor's theorem). The integral approximation is performed by simply integrating the polynomial produced by simplifying the third-order Taylor polynomial for f(x)=cosx. The error is then calculated by integrating the Taylor polynomial remainder term within the same bounds.

Challenges
I was confused about why the example first uses [-1,1] as the error bound for Xi(x), even though we know by Taylor's theorem that Xi(x) is between 0 and 0.01. I did not find this reading challenging, but I feel like the logic tying the Taylor theorem to the actual approximation of the function could be difficult, because the Taylor's theorem does not explicitly state that it is for approximation with known error bounds. Also, the text did not really point out how error grows as x increases in distance from x0.

Reflections
I thought it was really elegant how the Taylor polynomial can be integrated to approximate the integral of the actual function, and even cooler how you can extend this to a calculation of the error bound. I see this theorem as playing an important part in numerical approximation of functions and integrals, although I am uncertain how we would deal with finding all of the derivatives using a computer.

2 comments:

caseyb said...

I'm curious about whether there's a way to use TeX or similar typographic scripting with Blogger in a way that will show up in the RSS feed... let me know if you know of a way of at least putting in Greek letters and integrals!

Snowflake said...

Hey Casey,

Thanks for your post! A few reactions...

* The experimental electronic music stuff sounds great. You'll have to tell me more about that sometime. Incidentally, one of my capstone students is doing a cool project based on a paper that uses ideas from mathematical chaos to generate musical variations. Basically, you can input a melody, and you get out a variation that is, melodically/harmonically speaking, stylistically similar to the input, but a variant. It's cool.

* As for your reading, here are my reactions...

1. Main points. Great job.

2. Challenges. Great job. I appreciate that you articulated a specific point of difficulty. That gives me something to latch on to!

3. Reflections. Great.

In short, keep up the good work.

Glad to have you in class,
Chad

p.s. I saw your own comment about TeX in blogger. I don't know the answer offhand, but if you send me the question in an email, I will investigate.